Friday, September 28, 2007

A New Day for Burma?

I Have a Dream. A dream that when she grows up, Angelina will live in a world that doesn't need people willing to risk their lives for freedom. A world where peace and freedom are attainable for all.

Stand With the Burmese People



I've been closely watching the events in Burma* of late, recalling too much the events of 1988. I wasn't as close to the country then, and though my journeys into Burma were only a mile or so across the border, after living so close on the Thai-Burma border, I became enthralled by the people I met (see "The King's Birthday"). I took the opportunity to learn everything I could about the country and the current state of civil strife. Today, I am amazed by those willing to sacrifice everything for their freedom, and heartbroken that it is necessary. I hoped to see a different ending than in 1988. I still hope, but fear it turning out the same. Why have we in the West done so little? Why have we ignored Burma for so long? Why have we let this happen? For now, I will continue to dream that Angelina will one day travel the world encountering as wonderful people as I have, whom are not facing a struggle for peace and freedom.



*Why call it Burma instead of its current name of Myanmar? There's a good reason. Though in theory the new name is one of Union: The country is made up of many ethnic groups, of which the Burmans are only one, the name change was instituted by the military junta which came to power illegally. As such, those who have protested the military regime use the name Burma. Having spent some time with many such individuals, I'll continue to use the name as well.



Some of my good reading on Burma:
To keep updated: The Irrawaddy

Among Insurgents:Walking Through Burma by Shelby Tucker.
The Trouser People by Andrew Marshall.
Burma: The Curse of Independence, Shelby Tucker
Burma: Insurgency and the Politics of Ethnicity, Martin Smith
From the Land of Green Ghosts: A Burmese Odyssy, Pascal K. Thwe
Letters from Burma,Aung San Suu Kyi


And more related to the Karen struggle:
Kawthoolei Dreams, Malaria Nights: Burma's Civil War, Martin MacDonald
Three Pagodas: A Journey Down the Thai-Burmese Border, Christian Goodden
The Long Patrol, Mike Tucker (less good, but still interesting)

And while I'm listing books, I'm anxious to read:
RESTLESS SOULS: REBELS, REFUGEES, MEDICS AND MISFITS ON THE THAI-BURMA BORDER, Phil Thornton, but it's not available in the US yet.

And a novel, for fun:
The Glass Palace, Amitav Ghosh

No comments: