Monday, November 24, 2003

11 March 2003
The Secret Cave

Had another adventure today. This time with Kung. He took us to his military friend (who's related to the King) to a 'secret' waterfall on the border. We took motorbikes up in the mountains about 50km, then hooked up with this military guy in his truck. Only, when we got to the village at the river, we couldn't get to the border (river). Despite this guy's military credentials, it was no go - after an hour of waiting and checking on the situation, taking down all our names (they now have my name down twice as attempting to cross! well, we weren't going to actually *cross*) and a group picture (there were 7 of us), and lots of radioing around to the posts, they said the KNLA and DKBA/SPDC were on the move, moving into position for fighting, and it "was too sensitive." Damn, I wanted to go to the waterfall!



Well, I must say even the waiting was kind of exciting, when we realised the circumstances. I tried to get a picture of the other army guys with Kung and his friend, but the army commander said no. Then we went to a hidden monastery (very cool) and then a cave - also very cool. Then rode back to Mae Sot - in the DARK! I was terrified. I am not a good enough biker yet, and I had my friend Katrina as passenger, AND Kung and the other 2 took off and we couldn't see them.... I knew the way back, but pitch black in the middle of nowhere....and ME driving. My friend that was riding w/Kung kept saying "I can't see Cherise anymore" and he kept saying "they'll be fine...."Well, we WERE, but man I was terrified - especially on that very long downhill stretch. So we made it back ok, and now I'm knackered, and I can't tell off Kung too much because we were fine and nothing bad happened. Still! It was a really fun day though (and of course there's more to the story - there always is! - but I'll leave that....no more adventure stories!)


No comments: