Monday, November 24, 2003

House Hunting and the Spirits

10 December 2002

(that's my bike, my flat is on the 3rd floor)

After nearly 6 weeks back in Thailand, I am finally out of guesthouse living
and in my own place. There will be a phone in a week or so.

My SMRU address is always good too. I like mail :)

Short Story:
My move-in is determined by the spirits and stars. Whether that brings
good or bad luck to MY move is not yet clear. Given the adventures of
late, I am thinking my "Good Karma" from Loy Krathong did not quite work.

------

Long Story:
My priorities of "furnished, 2 bedroom/bath house, nice location" quickly changed to "Western toilet - bucket flush ok, exterior walls consisting of something other than planks of wood, some sort of plumbing suitable to sink installation." The way I saw it, if I was living in a thatched hut in a Karen village without electricity, cool. But I'm living in a city of sorts, figured I should live a little better. Was beginning to prefer the Karen village idea (still do actually, unfortunately, being on the border and in KNU territory, the Thai government isn't too keen to have westerners living there).

See one gorgeous place, not available after all. See one new, very cheaply built place, Nope. See my friend Stuart's place. Bloody Stuart, he got it a few days before I arrived, if only I'd come sooner! Seethe with jealousy.... See few more old, falling apart places, no furnishings (I quickly decide to remove that from priority list). Remind myself I *am* in a developing country after all. And I'm not forced to live in a refugee camp. Just reasonably clean and not falling down would be nice. Adjusting to the idea of forgoing a western toilet.

Mon 25 Nov: find an apt, FABULOUS! Not large, but big enough, furnished
with all new furnishings, clean, nice garden, and best of all western
toilet and shower with water heater, and kitchen!!! (a rarity). Not only that, it's above a classy sushi restaurant (rather out of place in the wild-west saloon sort of town of Mae Sot).
(the patio)

Landlord (Opart): "It'll be available end of this month."
Me: "Soooo. Sun Dec 1? "
Opart: "Yes, but I'll double check and call you."

WOOHOOO. I have a place to live. Go to Kung's bar to celebrate with a gin and tonic, everyone asks: "So when's the housewarming party?"

Thurs 28 Nov: Opart calls "Che-lise, so sorry, it will be available on
Tues, Dec 3"

Me: "Ok" silently thinking "Bummer!" Ok, that's just a few extra days.

Go to Kung's Bar, Kung says "Che-rise! How 'bout your house?!"
Me: "Ahhh. Bad subject." He knowingly brings me a g&t. drown my sorrows.

Fri, 29 Nov: Opart calls again: "Oh, Chelise, So so sorry. She is now not moving out til Tues, Dec 10."

Me: "ACK!"
(Fortunately Opart has lived in the US for 20 years, Mexico for 1, so
he's not so taken by my, um, obvious feelings on the matter. In Thailand, one never shows any expression. At least not to the people involved. Sometimes being an expressive Latina/American in Thailand is not so easy. I have become very quiet and shy-like here...)

Opart: "I will talk to her again, I am so so sorry."
Me : "I will keep looking for something else, I really need to find
something. But okkk."
Quickly realise I have no choice. Besides, Catholic guilt kicks in, remind myself I have it so well. I am not living in a crowded refugee camp right? Stop whining. Slowly begin to accept it...it's not a big deal. Keep counting down the days til I *don't* have to eat out for every meal. (Get more jealous of Stuart's cool house)

Go to Kung's: "Cherise! How 'bout your house?!
Me: "Don't ask. Dec 10. "

Kung consoles me with a G&T and says "it just gives me more time to find a turkey for your Thanksgiving!" Good old Kung.

Tues, Dec 3: Opart leaves message, "Your apartment is ready!"

What??? WOOHOOO! I call, he says "Yes, she's moving out today. I'll clean
and it'll be ready for you tomorrow."
me: "Ok, I'll call tomorrow at 1:30 when I'm ready to come over."
Yeah!

Go to Kung's bar: "Celebration!" Woohoo! Mattieu convinces me a second
G&T is required for such a celebration.

Wed, 4 Dec: lug all my stuff downstairs, get it ready for the truck. Call Opart to tell him I'm on my way.

"Oh, Chelise, I'm soooo sorry. she hasn't moved yet. Maybe tonight?"
ooooooooooooohhhhhhh. Ok. Deep breath. Move all my stuff into the nearby lab so I don't have to lug it back upstairs. It's just one night right?

Later Wed afternoon, another call:
Opart: "Chelise, about the apartment, I am so sorry, can we meet tonight to talk about it"
Me thinking "Oh Sh*t plan has fallen thru completely."

Meet at his sushi restaurant at 9pm. He offers me wine, sushi. I'm still thinking "ok, clear sign, all's lost." He hands me a piece of paper saying "this is from my tenant." Uh-oh.

Seems, the Landlady of the house this woman is moving into keeps
determining that said dates are all wrong - "bad luck. The stars say this day for move in, bad karma." Next date set, "Spirits say it not good for house to move in this day." Ah-ha! Makes perfect sense now.

Well, as perfect as one can get with the stars and spirits. (I was told *later* that this is a common occurrence. No one wants to tell you the real reason you can't move on a certain date, they just keep delaying it)

Go to Kung's: "Cherise! How 'bout your apartment? Did you move in? When's the party?"
Ahhhh. About the place.................

The woman moving out is probably as frustrated as I about the move. So, it's "good luck" for her to move on Dec 7. I settle for Dec 10. Just to be sure. I have no idea if this day is good luck for my house or not. Probably not. I will have to get a spirit house and make offerings to my ancestors to protect it. But then, my ancestors will be saying "Cherise, what the heck are you doing there anyway????"

Opart, my LL, own's "Opart's Place" a Thai restaurant in Chicago. Any one there,
should stop by and say you know me :). He was quite anxious to have me move in. I guess he thinks I'll be a good tenant? Or maybe it's just 'cause I'm cute? More likely, just keen to have it settled before he goes back to the US in a few weeks.

Off to Kung's to celebrate! I actually have a key to the place now! (My apartment, not Kung’s Bar)

Next up: "Trekking in Umphang: Adventures in Mud."

Lessons learned:
1. Throw out the fancy hiking boots, and stick with rubbery studs (cheap football cleats)
2. Buy the waterproof case for your new digital camera, you may be
swimming when you weren't planning on it.
3. Downhill skiing on mud is not recommended, in the dark. With a pack.
4. Mother Nature doesn't always comply with "Dry Season begins in
November"
5. Elephant trails are not the greatest for trekking paths.
6. Think of yourself as a monkey.

No comments: